Monday 27 October 2008

SPAA FRINGE: Friday, Day 2

After an OKish sleep on the couch, a hurried shower and hot cappuccino from the POINT Cafe on Broadway I was in a taxi again and off to Paddington Town hall.

I was marginally late but it meant I got a free run at the bar and headed into the opening session with a bottle of water and Banana bread (not a bad breaky on the run?). Peter Broderick opened Spaa Fringe by handing the microphone over to the crowd and asking for people to stand up and offer their skills up to other producers in the room. Last year I stood up and asked for anyone with a story about indie cinemas to come chat to me and as the speakers behind the microphone went from offering up skills, to asking for collaborators to introducing oneself, I thought I mise well get up and plug the doco. I tried to slant the website as a space where people could 'continue the conversation of Spaa Fringe' but that has not happened as yet? Anyone? Feel free to be write inspired words on the blog.

I stayed for Peter's session on Hybrid Distribution and could hear his interview playing over in my head. Cathy Henkel from The Burning Season provided a great example of how an Aussie can use the power of the net and Hybrid Distribution to great effect. The Burning Season looks like a powerful film and I hope it helps to promote the cause of the Orangutan and the survival of Rain forests globally.

Afterwards I bumped into Andy K 'the intern from Melbourne' and we got a bite to eat from a nice cafe on Oxford Street. The weather had changed! And now we were enjoying a chance for fresh air in the warm Sydney sun.

Then came the surprise session of the day: Melanie Coombs talking about making Mary and Max. I'll write about this in detail later. After that session Andy and I went down to the Fringe bar and got an early start on drinks. Shortly after other Spaa Fringe attendees turned up and we had some fun networking before going our separate ways.

No comments: